Below is a sample of some client matters that we have handled in three selected areas (Debt Collections and Enforcement Proceedings/Creditors’ Rights, Litigation and Bankruptcy/Restructuring).
Debt Collections and Enforcement Proceedings - Creditors' Rights
The firm has a passion for this area of the law and is very active in this field.
It handles the full legal cycle relating to debt recovery, from amicable collection, taking provisional measures against debtors and/or third parties, litigating, obtaining money judgements, up to enforcement proceedings, including with respect to foreign judgements.
It represents numerous creditors as well as major US and European collection agencies with respect to debt collections and enforcement proceedings in France and abroad.
The firm is a member of EuroCollectNet Lawyers (ECN), the National Association of Credit Management (NACM), the Finance, Credit & International Business Association (FCIB), and the French Credit Management Association (AFDCC).
It is able to provide debt collection expertise not only in France, but also worldwide, through its membership with EuroCollectNet Lawyers (ECN), whose specialized lawyers are actively present in more than 30 European countries and beyond Europe, and through its network of trusted local counsels in North America, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Middle East and Africa.
The firm is a former member of the Commercial Law League of America (CLLA), the International Association of Commercial Collectors (IACC), and the League International for Creditors (LIC-International), and is also listed with the main US Law Lists in the field of debt recovery, namely:
American Lawyers Quarterly
- Represented a US receiver in the French aspects of a complex cross-border dispute regarding "Ponzi schemes" and enforcement in France of a US judgement of contempt of court, having led to a key decision from the French Supreme court in this field (Cass. civ. 1ère, January 28, 2009, n° 07-11729)
- Represented a leading global printer manufacturer in a product liability action, and distribution law
- Represented a large company from the gas sector in connection with a product liability action
- Represented a leading IT company in complex post-acquisition litigation (directors' liability, dispute on the company's sale) and in litigation proceedings regarding liabilities in the context of bankruptcy
- Represented a Swiss company in a court case against a major French manufacturer of underwear, in the context of the termination of its distribution contract
- Represented the French subsidiary of a US clothing manufacturer in litigation cases regarding commingling of assets and distribution law aspects in the context of the bankruptcy of one of its distributors
- Represented a major Japanese car manufacturer against its Swiss distributor and its transporters in repossession court actions
- Represented a large group of companies (debtors) in the hotel industry sector in conciliation proceedings involving a debt restructuring of more than EUR 300 million
- Representing numerous creditors and financial institutions in all facets of creditors’ rights (e.g. claims, repossession actions, set-off, contracts, fraudulent conveyances, retention of title, appointment as controller, creditors’ committees, etc.)
- Represented one of the largest international financial institution in the safeguard proceedings of Belvedere
- Assisting debtors in alert procedures, mandat ad hoc or conciliation proceedings, bankruptcy filings and workouts, notably in the fields of new technologies, hotel industry, telecommunications and start-ups
- Represented the French court-appointed liquidator of a major international telecommunications operator undergoing bankruptcy, in nearly one hundred litigation cases regarding bankruptcy law, contract liability and debt recovery
- Represented one of the largest company in the semiconductor industry in connection with the French aspects of its multi billion dollar bid for the purchase of intellectual property rights from one of the major players in the telecommunications sector, in bankruptcy
- Assisted a global leader in retail restructuring on the French aspects of its acquisition of a major retailer of household furnishings
- Represented a large Canadian listed healthcare company in its acquisition of software and patents from a French company in bankruptcy
- Represented leading companies from the printing and IT sectors in directors’ liability actions